Kids these days are growing and advancing alongside new wearable technology that is designed to keep them busy, connected, and knowledgeable. Smartwatches are gaining in popularity and have many integrated features that range from a simple calculator to motion sensors and video recording functions.
The materials used to make these watches are durable and designed to withstand the rough and tough use a child will put it through. The batteries have long lives to ensure that your child can enjoy it throughout the day without the worry you may have of them breaking it or casting it to the side like a toy that is not valued.
Smartwatches are wearable technology that can provide hours upon hours of entertainment for children and young students alike while allowing the parent to keep track of them via GPS or monitoring their Internet and physical activity throughout the day. Some smartwatches come with parental control features to provide the parent with improved peace of mind knowing that their child is safe while offering them a way to learn organization and responsibility in the process.
Additional features that you can find with most smartwatches are Android and iOS compatibility. Many of the smartwatches have apps that can allow a parent to put parental controls on the watch to ensure the child’s safety. These features go hand in hand with GPS tracking and location so you can know where your child is.
Consider the compatibility that you are looking for when purchasing a smartwatch. Typically, if there is no phone compatibility, then your child will not be able to use calling functions or message features.
Giving your child a smartwatch means you will be letting your child become even more connected and they will be physically attached to their device. However, a positive side of this would be knowing that your child is safe by utilizing the family tracker apps and it gives you an additional opportunity to discuss safety measures with your children.
Finally, a lot of smartwatches allow children to track their activity levels which will help them see the potential of fun fitness. It helps the child learn to exercise more by encouraging activities that require physical energy. If they can track the progress, they are making it may, in turn, provide them with the motivation to continue exercising because it will be a fun thing to do.
The following are reviews of the best kids’ smartwatches that are both safe and educational for your child:
Smartwatches for Children Under Five Years of Age
The LeapFrog LeapBand watch is one of the first activity trackers that are designed for children. It includes fifty active challenges and parental controls on LeapFrog Connect so that the parent can set play times, challenges, and more. It is designed for children as young as four years old.
2” x 2.5” x 1.8”
Games compatible with Apple iOS devices 6.0 or higher and Android devices 4.03 or higher, and LeapFrog Wireless tablets
- Includes fifty fun activities that encourage physical activity
- High-resolution screen and adjustable band
- Water resistant
- LeapFrog Connect enabled
- Kids can earn points with the games to unlock new pets and pet toys
- Kids can pick 1 out of 8 virtual pets and choose its name and color
- Wristband is on the smaller side although it is adjustable
- Poor battery life
The Kurio Watch is a real smartwatch that uses a high-resolution touch screen. It has 256 MB of internal memory along with an added 32 G of memory in the micro sadhu card slot. It features productivity tools such as an alarm clock, calculator, calendar, contacts, and activity tracker and has over twenty different games and apps. The games can be played in single player mode or 2 player mode and you can also use the built-in motion sensor to play active games.
7.9” x 3.1” x 4.8”
Android and iPhone via Bluetooth
- Affordable price point
- Allows parental control when connected with Bluetooth
- Kids can accept phone calls from friends and family
- Parents can enter in critical information in the Case of Emergency App
- 0.3 MP camera and video
- Battery drains quickly
- Screen can be easily damaged if dropped
- Currently only available for Android. iPhone compatibility only through Bluetooth technology
Smartwatches for Children Under Ten Years of Age
The LG GizmoPal has a wearable and kid friendly design that includes a dedicated call button, LED status indicators, Auto Answer function, and it is Android and iOS compatible. The child can call and receive calls from up to four authorized phone numbers which make it safe to use and it utilizes easy preset identifiers such as “mom” and “dad” to notify the child who is calling.
7.4” x 3.7” x 1.8”
Android and iOS
- Includes a GPS tracking feature
- Great starter watch for younger children
- Great overall fit and comfort ratings
- Only an extra $5 a month to access it with your wireless plan
- Up to four caregivers can access the GizmoPal through the hub
- Location is approximate, not exact
- The watch does not show time. Must press a button to view the time
The Orbo Kids Smartwatch helps to teach your child how to read while providing hours of entertainment with its touchscreen. It features a built-in tiltable camera so that your child can take photos and save them to the watch. It also comes with a micro USB cable for fast and easy charging. It also includes interactive activities and games and is comfortable to wear and kid friendly.
5.7” x 4.1” x 3.2”
Bluetooth phone pairing
- Can use Bluetooth to pair with any cell phone
- Portable and wearable format
- Three games that sharpen memory, reflex, and musicality
- Up to 16 activities with simple touch and swipe interface
- Easy-to-clean rubber exterior
- Built-in tiltable camera to capture photo and video
- Easy charging and impressive playtime per charge
- Not waterproof or water resistant
- Very simple and basic games; not challenging
- Can be difficult to navigate through functions
The VTech Kidizoom Kids Smartwatch DX includes fun games and activities for children including three action games and a motion sensor. It features an alarm, timer, and stopwatch and has a calendar feature and calculator. It has a digital and analog display with over fifty clock face designs and is splash and sweat proof. The wristband can also be adjusted for wrists between 5.4 and 7.75 inches. It includes ample space for memory, video camera, and recorder, voice recorder with voice-changing effects and an easy-to-use touch screen.
0.6” x 8.8” x 1.8”
- Adjustable wristband
- Helps teach simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery and included micro USB cable
- 3 fun activities, 5 games, 3 action challenges, motion sensor
- Lots of memory for photos and videos
- Promotes activity by tracking the number of steps the child takes
- No smartphone or Bluetooth capability
- Slightly larger than expected
- Cannot make or receive calls
The Lemfo Q50 Smart Watch is made of an environmentally-friendly material with lower radiation and a security gel polymer battery to protect your child’s eyesight. It has low consumption and high brightness. It allows two-way calling, SOS Emergency Calling, GPS location with SE tracker app and real-time location tracking. It has a security fence, fitness tracker, pedometer, voice chat, and alarm warnings.
8.19” x 1.42” x 0.43”
Android and iPhone
- Can set up monitoring number
- Choose activity areas for your kids on the APP Maps
- GPS+LBS Accurate Location with dual-mode positioning
- Two-way communication and electronic fence
- Acceleration sensor and low power management
- Interface could use some improvements
- Must be on an active call to adjust volume
- Instructions are poorly written
Smartwatches for Older Children-Grade School
This Pebble Smartwatch is ideal for older kids and is compatible with both Apple (ioS 6 and higher) and Android devices (OS 4.0 and higher) It has a rechargeable battery that can last between five and seven days on a single charge and has many notification and app features. Your child can view notifications from email, SMS, Caller ID, and calendars and can even control music on iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, and others.
3.8” x 3” x 2.6”
Apple iPhone and Android Devices
- Can access downloadable apps that suit hobbies, interests, and lifestyles
- Pebble timeline collects all information and arranges it in an easy-to-read chronological view
- Can be easily personalized with a variety of downloadable watch faces
- Wristbands can be swapped out for different sizes and styles
- Long-lasting battery, user-friendly operation, and easy-to-read screen
- Straightforward and wearable design with a scratch-resistant display
- Some limitations with apps and features when used with iOS
- Low power display and processor
- Charger has to be plugged into the corresponding port at the correct angle
The Samsung Gear G2 Smartwatch is at the higher end of the price spectrum, but it features a dual-core 1.0 GHz processor, WiFi, Bluetooth, and 4GB internal memory. You can choose from different premium finishes to find the right style and look for you, and there is a wide selection of customizable watch face designs. It is compatible with most Android smartphones that are Android 4.4 and higher. It features a larger watch face and battery with a thicker face and it stays connected for longer.
2” x 1.7” x 0.5”
Android 4.4 and higher
- Built-in wireless charging
- Customizable watch face designs
- Includes a wireless charging dock
- Supports GPS Navigation
- 1.2-inch display
- Watch band that is included may be too small
- Higher price point
The Alcatel Smart Watch is fully customizable. The front casing and both bands can be swapped out for a more personalized look. It is compatible with most smartphones and has a 1.22-inch display screen that is smudge and fingerprint resistant. It is also water, dust, and shock resistant and the battery lasts longer than most other wearable devices.
4.2” x 3.7” x 4.2”
Android, Android 4.3, iOS, iOS 7
- Fully customizable design
- Water, dust, and shock resistant
- Push notifications
- Health- and fitness-based option
- None found
The Indigi Smart Watch is a GSM unlocked phone that works with any GSM wireless carriers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and Straight Talk. You can connect it to your smartphone via Bluetooth and you can also synchronize with the phonebook on your phone. It is a good starter smartwatch for older kids and even has Smart Anti-lost technology that allows you to activate an anti-lost function so that the watch will ring or vibrate if the smartphone gets to be 10-20 meters away.
2.3” x 1.5” x 0.5”
Bluetooth, Android 2.3+, iOS 4.0+
- Built-in camera
- Color touch screen
- Calls, Caller ID, Messaging, and notifications
- Remote camera shutter, built-in mic and speaker
- Pedometer, sleep monitor, and sedentary reminder
- Audio player, FM radio, Image viewer, music streaming
- Works with iPhone iOS but with limited features
Take into consideration your child's interests when choosing the smart watch that would be right for them. The watches designed for older children include more functions like calendars and calculators and the watches designed for younger children have more games and provide numerous entertainment options. All of the reviewed watches are affordably priced and are built to withstand the wear and tear and play of a child.